Suggest treatment for swollen colostomy bag in an elderly person

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 28 Jan 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a 95 year old women with a colostmy bag. The Stoma is swollen. Like four bubbles on top. What should be done.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, upload an image for review!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this swollen and bubbles that you have reported around the stoma of this colostomy. I will like to review an image of this sore before making any recommendations on how to handle this. Seeing an image is capital to getting a personalized and helpful response a opposed to a generic and somewhat not helpful response when an image is not seen.

To upload an image, click on the upload icon to the right of your dashboard and follow the onscreen instructions. You may also send it directly to customer service at YYYY@YYYY and request that it should be uploaded to your query.

I hope to hear from you and promise to respond promptly. Until next, I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
I had the picture uploaded but have not hear from anyone. Is anyone going to answer. If not refund my money.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
If feces comes out without issues, observe only for now!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for the images.

I have looked at the stoma and have seen the swellings. This suggests there is excess fluid retention which could be caused by an obstruction in the path of the veins. This is usually transient and all would resolve with time. There is no sign of an active infection. If she is able to empty the intestinal content normally without any difficulties, there is no reason to do anything aggressive at this time. Monitor only and ensure her stools are not to hard to further compound the swelling.

In all, fluid retention and would resolve spontaneously. Observe only and I recommend any further action only if something else comes up.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.