Suggest treatment for swollen cheek

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Doctors
My right cheek has been swelling for about an year. I went to dentist and found that there is an infection in my lower 6 and 7 (which were treated with RCT before 2 years ago) and doctor advised me to re RCT for lower 6. Now, it has been 6 months that my teeth is open for RCT but I can't see the swalling goes out. Then I was advised to get an X - ray OPG and in that I found that there is wisdom teeth also in upper right side. So the next advise I have been given is to get the wisdom tooth extracted first and after that re RCT for lower 6 and 7.
Could you please advise me the correct reason for swelling as I am totally confused now to what I should get done.
Many thanks for your help in advance.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wisdom tooth

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query, it suggests that swelling in your cheek may be due to the wisdom tooth.
Better to go for the extraction of the wisdom tooth and proper course of the antibiotic and anti inflammatory drugs.

If you want to better advised for this then please send me the snap of your cheek , OPG and prescription.

Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 37 minutes later
ThankYou sir for your advise.
Please see the attachments for the pics of X rays and prescription. Pic of cheek is not attached as it's difficult to identify the swelling in a snap. I can tell u that the swelling is in upper right side around my eye and nose.
Please check and advise.
Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for extraction of the Right upper wisdom tooth

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your follow up query and report attached; it most probably suggests that your root cause is due to the right upper wisdom tooth. Better to go for the extraction of this tooth for relieve from the swelling.

Trust on your doctor, you are on right treatment.

Thanks

Dr Hariom Sharma MBBS, MS
ENT Specialist

Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
Thank you sir. I will get my wisdom tooth extracted.
could you please advise on my lower teeth.. can re - RCT make it better or I will have to get this extracted as well, I can see the infection in X ray.
Please advise.
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to avoid extraction of lower teeth

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up query; and I personally suggests better to avoid extraction of lower teeth.

If persistent of swelling after 7 days of the antibiotic and anti inflammatory course then only go for the extraction of the lower teeth.

Thanks

Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju