Suggest treatment for swollen calf and flaky skin on the shins
Your overall health seems to be fine with what you say. I am happy that your bp and sugar are undercontrol (hope within 140/90mmHg and HbA1c under 6%).
With swollen calf muscle I suspect a malady in the vessels running under these muscles may be in veins or arteries or both. Thereby the vessel walls are thin and exuding the plasma out of it. This plasma is occupying the empty space and pressure on the muscles and lymphatic vessels. So there is secondary lymphodema I guess. This compromises the blood supply to the skin underlying tissue which has to give the necessary protection. This results in excessive drying of the skin, excoriation and flakes. This is eczema. You need an antihistamine tablet like Cetrizine to avoid scratching and bacterial infection. This may progress to cellulitis which is far serious infection then it requires IV antibiotic shots. Please post a picture.
I suggest you to moisturize it every 4 hours with oil or any good over the counter moisturizer available at the pharmacy. Along with it you should tie a crepe band starting below the ankle above knee joint so that the lymphodema drains. Along with it you should walk a lot so that the muscle there act as pumps to drive the excess fluid back to the circulatory system. Always keep the level of the calf muscles over the knees whenever you sit or lie down, put a pillow underneath. The crepe bands should be on from the time you get up early in the morning till the time you retire to sleep at night except when you apply the moisturizer.
First thing first you need to get an assessment of the vessels underneath with Color doppler scan. A vascular surgeon is the best bet or even a surgeon who charges you less than vascular surgeon. A nurse can help you with necessary tips to tie the crepe, apply moisturizer and recommend you one.
This is the cheapest thing you can do right now. Ofcourse Obesity and alcohol is contributing to the malady. You should not stop thinking of shedding weight. Any reduction will help.
Hope this answers.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for pain in lower calf
- Treatment for swollen and hard calf muscle after injury
- Suggest treatment for bruised bump on shin
- Suggest possible treatment for pain in shins
- What is the treatment for swollen shin
- What treatment is suggested for swollen calf muscle
- Suggest treatment for itchiness on shins
- Shin injury swollen ankles treatment
- Suggest treatment for bruise and pus on the shin
- Suggest treatment for sore calf
- Took oxandrolone treatment for few days. Will this cause any side effect?
- Feeling weak and dizzy after stomach flu. How to get relief?
- Drank a glass of phenyl. What should be done for cure?
- No sperm found in sperm analysis. Is there any medicine to create the...
- 59 years old. Passing semen with urine. What treatment should be done?
- Which specialist should I consult for pineal cysts?
- I pricked my palm on a rusty nail. Do I need tetanus shot?
- History of frequent heartburn. Having severe pain below rib cage during...
- Is the compositions for nalcon and falcon same?
- Child has fever, rapid heartbeat and started vomiting. What is causing...