Suggest treatment for swollen and discolored knee

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hello. My mother has a very swollen knee with yellow discoloration around knee and proceeding down the calf....apparently the knee has been swollen for several days, and she claims out hurts less than out did at the outset, but the continued swelling and color concern me....should I drag her to the ED?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may send the pcture of knee

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The swelling could be because of -1.Inflammation secondary to infection inside the joint. This is associated with pain, decrease painful movement, tender and warm to touch. Is it so?
2. Non inflammatory secondary to arthritis and is associated with diffuse swelling with normal to touch.
As far as yellowish discoloration is concerned this may be because of soft tissue haematoma (blood collected inside the skin and muscle) following minor trauma and is undergoing haemolysis (breaking down of haemoglobin).This may have leads to yellowish discoloration. Is she on drugs (blood thinner) like aspirin?

Having said that she needs physical examination to reach any diagnosis. It is my sincere advice to visit a local doctor.

Hope this helps.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.