Suggest treatment for swollen adenoids and negative HIV result

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have had moderately swollen adenoids with no other symptoms for the last 3 months, around the time I had a new sexual partner. Tested with oraquick just shy of the 3 month mark and hiv result came back negative. Am I safe to trust the test and continue searching for the root of the problem?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reliable but better to go for Elisa test

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through the details.

The symptoms are non specific and do not suggest HIV. The chances of transmission of HIV by unprotected intercourse is 1/200 to 1/1000.The person may be negative too.
Ora quick test after 3 months exposure is reliable. But it may be better to go for Elisa HIV 1&2 antibodies to have conclusive results.
You can get him tested too.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venereolgist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj