• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling underneath the eye and sinusitis

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: 6 months of swelling underneath right eye, swelling on right roof of mouth. No abscessed tooth. lack of saliva and tear production. Tested negative for Sjogren's syndrome, and other auto immune disorders. MRI & CT scan negative for sinusitis. swelling extends up into forehead and is better some days and worse others, enough to even cause lack of movement in eyebrow and forehead. Could this be cancer or the salivary gland or palate? If so, why would it have not shown up on any scans including dental X rays? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meibomian gland inflammation with extensions likely .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* This may be Meibomian gland inflammation with extensions .

Kindly provide more details so that I can answer your query completely .

1. Swelling - consistency , overlying skin changes , pain frequency , severity ,type
progress since beginning .
2. Swallowing problems .
3. Weight alterations .
4. Fever , head ache or other systemic problems .
5. All reports as attached scan copies ; high resolution clinical photograph
of both swellings if possible & no objection would be of great help .
6. Current medications .

Awaiting for your response .

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 5 days later
Thank you, unfortunately I don't think that is it. I wish... I have also noticed a very swollen or inflamed lymph node on that right side of my neck under my ear. Looking back I noticed the tenderness it presented about 8 months ago but I thought it was from sleeping on that side and straining the muscle. The lymph node is enlarged a great deal and hurts to touch it. I have had 4 MRI's that show nothing other then mild swelling not great enough to be sinusitis. I have had CT scans come back normal. I have been tested for Sjogren's syndrome, Lupus, other auto immune disorders. Syphilis, Lyme Disease, abscessed tooth, and much more. I have had a tooth pulled that could have been an issue and a new crown on another one that could have been the issue. no improvement. I had 4 MRI's of the orbital area and brain and nothing was found abnormal. I was put on 30 days of Cephalexin for possible chronic sinus infection after going to urgent care where they found fluid behind my ears. That gave "mild" improvement only to get worse shortly after. Then was put on 15 days of 2000 milligrams of penicillin which again showed slight improvement for the 1st few days then right back to crazy swelling even while still on the antibiotic. My ear on the right side fills with fluid and plugs and my forehead floods with fluid that I can move with my fingers. It makes my right eye feel heavy and pressure. The inside of my pallet on the right side is swollen as the fluid has no where to go. It is worse at some points in the day then others, which is strange. I feel fatigued and queasy often. No fever, no skin changes. Period has been pretty regular. I am living in misery and desperate for answers. I do have MRI photos but I need to obtain them. Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely of this lesion not been detected in any of scans.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear
Thanks for the details .

* It is unusual of such lesion not to be shown on any of the scans .
Must be some complex lesion of uncommon occurrence .

Any biopsy or FNAC report done till now .
If at present there is swelling seen outside , kindly take its high resolution photo &
upload it as an attachment please .

Awaiting for your response .
Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 20 hours later
Well all of the scans were of only the head and eyes and sinuses and brain. Not of the neck where the lump is that I have recently discovered. The lump is painful and feels like the lymph node is swollen on the right side.

I will go to ER to try to get a scan of the neck and I will take a photo for you as soon as I can ( I am traveling right now)

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX photo will also do .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

* If swelling is seen outside , you can send XXXXXXX photo also that will give a
great amount of help before ER scan of neck .

Enjoy travelling .

Regards .

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon