• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling, redness and dryness on the upper lips

Posted on Fri, 18 Aug 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Can a reaction from a toothpaste containing sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium lauroyl sarcosinate look like/cause symptoms of aphthous stomatitis/dermatitis such as swelling, redness, small ulcer and dryness on inside upper lip? Is there a remedy? How long to heal?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Toothpaste can be a cause...

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query...

Yes, toothpaste can be a cause of allergy but Aphthous ulcers are not always due to the allergic reaction...

Yes, it is treatable so my suggestion is to apply a numbing gel containing Lignocaine over it...
Do warm saline gargles twice to thrice daily...
Take Vitamin B complex supplement for a week...
Do cool compresses over it...

Please write back for more queries...

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist