question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling on the knee

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: How would I know if I tore my ACL?
Answered by Dr. Geldon Fejzo (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
MRI tells for sure if it is a total injury of the ACL

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I have been through your question and understand your concern.

Generally injury of the ACL causes intense pain on knee movement, important swelling of the knee and limited movement. Basically you can not walk. But only MRI can definitely make a proper diagnosis. If you can walk and have minor signs, then it might be a partial injury of the ACL, and in this case it is difficult to diagnose, even with the MRI, because in these cases MRI can overestimate the degree of injury and can not differentiate an old one from a recent one.

Hope this helps. Wish you the best health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Geldon Fejzo

Neurologist, Surgical