Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for swelling on penis after insect bite

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15014 Questions
My grandson was bitten on the underside of the head of his penis by a mosquito. The area is swollen and we are not sure what to treat it with. He is 5-1/2 yrs old.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
an oral antihistamine would help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The swelling occurs as a result of the inflammatory reaction caused by the insect bite. It can occur at any point of the skin when bitten by a mosquito or other insects.

To reduce the inflammatory response you should use an oral anti histamine. This means in addition to the topical benadryl, you should give him oral benadryl or which oral anti histamine you have available.
Other oral antihistamines are claritine, allegra, zyrtec. All of these can come in pediatric syrups.

One dose should be enough but if the reaction persists then you can give a second at the appropriate dosing interval (would vary according to which anti histamine chosen).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor