Suggest treatment for swelling on penis after insect bite

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My grandson was bitten on the underside of the head of his penis by a mosquito. The area is swollen and we are not sure what to treat it with. He is 5-1/2 yrs old.
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
an oral antihistamine would help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The swelling occurs as a result of the inflammatory reaction caused by the insect bite. It can occur at any point of the skin when bitten by a mosquito or other insects.

To reduce the inflammatory response you should use an oral anti histamine. This means in addition to the topical benadryl, you should give him oral benadryl or which oral anti histamine you have available.
Other oral antihistamines are claritine, allegra, zyrtec. All of these can come in pediatric syrups.

One dose should be enough but if the reaction persists then you can give a second at the appropriate dosing interval (would vary according to which anti histamine chosen).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions