Suggest treatment for swelling on legs and shortness of breath

Posted on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hello, my father is 66 years old. In a matter of 2-3 days he has swelling in his legs, face. Also having shortness of breath. We went to the family doctor. They run blood and urine tests. Urine shows high level of protein and low protein levels in blood. Also, high cholesterol. We went for ultrasound. Tech briefly said that she doesn't see anything abnormal with kidneys but there is some fluid in lungs. When we went back to the primary doctor she seemed not concerned about his difficulty breathing and results of ultrasound of lungs. But sending us to the specialist for kidneys. We were waiting for our appointment. However, I just got a phone call from the doctors office saying that due to weather conditions ( we are in KY, and its declared State of emergency) our appointment is canceled, they will call us on Thursday to reschedule. I don't know if I should take him to the Emergency room ( we don't have insurance yet, not until the March 1). Would like to hear your oppinion, advise...we need help. As of today, his breathing seems gradually getting worse...Respectfully. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please take him to emergency room to stabilize his breathing difficulty

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Swelling in legs and face with collection of fluid in the chest and protein in the urine shows that he might be having an underlying kidney condition.

As he has shortness of breath, there is a need to have his condition reviewed and to make his health condition stable. Also the weather conditions at KY is in a state of emergency and this means that his health can also take a downturn if not attended to.

The clinical information obtained from the attached reports shows that he is having nephrotic syndrome and its complications. Potassium levels and kidney function test results are also high but his breathing and accumulation of fluid in the chest seems to be the problem right now. With proper treatment his health can surely be restored to normal.

It will help to take him to emergency and stabilize his health condition. Since he is only taking furosemide (lasix) 20 mg, doctors might need to review his medications to make him feel more comfortable and reduce his breathlessness and prevent further water from accumulating in his lungs till such time that the appointment with kidney specialist is rescheduled.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist