Suggest treatment for swelling on knee after removal of plaster

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, 3 weeks ago I collided with a person and got hurt in my knee. I was diagnosed through MRI as follows

Comminuted fracture of the lateral condyle of tibia with marrow edema and suprapatellar effusion

I was applied a plaster of paris cast, on my knee till the toe for 3 weeks, and was removed on 26th.
I had the bandage from 5th to 26th May 2014.
After removing the bandage, the swelling on the upper knee is still there. There is no pain. The doctor advised me to do a lot of mobilization of the knee without putting pressure on the leg.
He has advised Quadriceps exersises and then asked me to review after 2 weeks

I need to know if the knee has to be kept on elevated position, and if the swelling will reduce over time, or will it reduce and become normal only after I start to use my leg for walking.

Kindly help
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Description below.

Detailed Answer:

You can start putting weight on your leg only after there is sign of union. Usually it takes 6-8 weeks. Till the time you have to do physiotherapy exercises to regain range of motion of knee and to strengthen the muscle around the knee, so that you would be able to walk on that leg.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery,

Warm regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Thank you for the response. Based on the impression on my MRI, is the swelling normal?
By doing Quadriceps exercises can I see the swelling reduce over time? may be 2 or 3 weeks
Important thing, is should I keep the leg elevated on a pillow while sleeping in the night?

I am not putting any weight on my leg now, just doing some motion around the knee

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry , swelling is normal.

Detailed Answer:

Do not worry , swelling is normal. Yes, by doing Quadriceps and mobilization exercises, you can see the swelling reduce over the time.It will take 3-4 weeks.

Till the time do not put weight on your leg and keep the leg elevated on a pillow while sleeping in the night.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 41 minutes later
Hello Doctor,
Again thank you so much for the answer. I just have some last questions

I use a crepe bandage and knee braces. Can these be used while sleeping in the night?
Can any physiotherapy exercises be done with the crepe bandage worn?

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use these while sleeping in the night.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

You can use a crepe bandage and knee braces while sleeping in the night.
You can do quadriceps exercises with the crepe bandage worn.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile http://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-saurabh-gupta/64132

Warm regrds.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 22 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thank you so much again. Yes this discussion was useful and gave a lot of relief to me.
I have one last question after which I will close the discussion.

My doctor has advised knee bending and Quadriceps exercises to be done often during the day.

My fracture type is

Comminuted fracture of the superior end plate of lateral condyle of tibia

I hope that doing knee bending exercises and Quadiceps will not cause the tibia fracture to take time to heal while strengthening the knee part alone.

Please advise
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are correct.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I am glad to know that I could address your concern.

You are correct, doing knee bending and Quadriceps exercises will not cause the tibia fracture to take time to heal. This will help in regaining full range of motion and strengthen the knee.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Warm regards.