Suggest treatment for swelling on foot post injury

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hard blow to my upper shin led to immediate swelling that was so bad within an hour, I thought my leg would split. Pain afterward is not excruciating, but I have occasional stabbing pains for no reason and burning pains shooting down one side. The rest is totally numb. I walked with minimal pain the next day because of the numbness, and the swelling seemed to cast the injury. I then developed small blisters. It turned my leg black and green so I visited my doctor who said it isn't broken. He said the nerves are probably damaged but he feels they will recover. He never mentioned compartment syndrome and only seems concerned about throwing a clot. After reading about compartment syndrome associated with blisters, I am nervous. How can I tell that I don't have dead cells inside if I can't feel that part of my shin?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A color doppler can detect the clot or compartment syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
You have a considerable swelling on the foot due to soft tissue injury and hematoma. A nerve injury or compression is likely. Compartment syndrome will cause numbness further down till the toes and the color changes will also be seen till toes. Do consult an orthopedician for a direct examination and get the investigations done to rule out a blood clot. Avoid bearing weight on the foot and keep it elevated till then.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal