Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for swelling on buttocks

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I am 65, just fell on wooden stair case in my house - landed hard, now butt check I swollen and very hard, should I use cold or heat on it?I need this information ASAP as I need to treat it now! How long will it take me to get this answer? I wish I would have known because I need the answer now - swelling continues and I want to know if I should use heat or ice?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cold compression (ice) Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The fact that the swelling in your butt cheeck developed after trauma, it could be an inflamation or a contusion. In either cases you need the compress the area with cold applications like ice packs. Any continuing bleed will stop and the inflamation will come down. However this is just as emergency step. At age 65, the fracture neck femurs are very common with such falls and they may initially present as swelling. I have seen many such patients who have had hair line fractures with such fall presenting as swelling. As of now you can apply cold compress but you need to see a doctor at your earliest convinience. You will need some xrays done of the hip to identify any such fractures. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor