Suggest treatment for swelling on a fractured wrist

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My abrupt digit minimi muscle of my left hand is swollen. it does not hurt and I can use my hand just fine, but it does not get smaller. What is the reason for that?
XXXX

Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unusual for the muscle in this region to swell

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for you question. So you have swelling on the side of your had just before the little finger? It is unusual for the digiti minimi muscle to be swollen? Are you sure it is not the metacarpophalangeal joint that is swollen or the extensor tendon in this region. A physical examination and or ultrasound scan of the swelling would help clarify exactly what is swollen. If you can post a picture of the swelling then this may help too. Possibilities include a tendonitis, a ganglion cyst or arthritis of the joint in that area.Best wishes

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swelling on a fractured wrist 1 hour later
Of course, I don't know anatomy, I thought it was this muscle, looks like I was wrong. You can see what I mean on the two posted photos. My joints don't seem to be swollen or painful, the swollen part feels like soft tissue. What do you think it can be?

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple possibilities

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for the photos,

Have you had a wrist fracture in the past as your wrist does look a little abnormal?

Yes there is obvious swelling on the ulna border of your wrist joint. This is in the region of the distal ulna and not the abductor digit minimi muscle.

There are a number of possibilities as the the diagnosis which could be confirmed with Xray, ultrasound and MRI scans of this region.

You could have a ganglion cyst in this area, an inflammatory arthritis of the wrist joint, tendonitis, damage and inflammation or a tear of the TFCC (the triangular fibrocartilagenous complex) which is like a shock absorber at the end of your ulna bone similar to the meniscus in the knee joint. The investigation list above particularly the MRI scan should help you get to the bottom of this swelling.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes