Suggest treatment for swelling in the lips while having impetigo

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My fiance has swollen lips as a result of Impetigo. She is pain and it is hard for her to drink, or anything regarding her mouth functions. what can be done to lessen the discomfort she is experiencing?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
anti inflammatory medication, topical medication

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Swelling is part of the body's inflammatory response so treatment would involve the reduction of inflammation in the area.

This means the use of anti inflammatory medications such as naproxen, cataflam or ibuprofen if she can use these medications.
In addition to pain control, these medications are known to reduce inflammation.

Topical agents that are normally used for sore throat to reduce pain may also help with her discomfort eg covonia throat spray or chloroseptic throat spray.
As mentioned these are normally used for sore throat but can be used on any area of the mouth as well.
They contain pain medication as well as an antiseptic

All of the above are over the counter

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other question