Suggest treatment for swelling in the legs

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 78 year old male in fair condition, but could exercise more. I have a problem with my feet swelling if I set at my computer for any length of time. I have started using medical grade stocking's, but my feet still swell. It is odd that my left foot swell's more than my right foot. I have been checked for blood clots, and no problem. My circulation seems to be good. I would appreciate some idea what the problem might be causing the swelling?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Swelling in dependent part of body (legs) can be because of lot of causes. I'll discuss all one by one.
1) Gout & other inflammatory disease of joint- it can cause swelling of the involved part. You have already done a X ray. I'll suggest to do some more tests like S. Uric Acid & RA factor.
2) Varicose veins - swelling of veins can also cause it. Keep wearing the stockings.
3) Clotting in veins of leg - it is a very common & important cause. You have already checked for it.
4) Low protein - it is also very common. I'll suggest you to do test S.Albumin & total protein.
5) Renal dysfunction - also check your kidney function test to rule it out.
6) Heart dysfunction - heart failure causes fluid to accumulate in dependent part of body. I'll recommend you for a 2D Echo to rule it out.
Get all these tests done for further management & i hope you will be fine soon.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy