• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling in the left foot

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My left foot is still swollen since i fly to XXXXXXX Its a litle better in the morning, but by end of day is foot and ankle is swallen. It was not at all swollen before i went on my trip, but i have a history of this foot/ankle swelling a lot. I thought it might be water retention. I even took a picture for compariness because it looked great (skinny for 2 months) now back to swollen after my overseas trip. It doesn't hurt and can feel its swollen barley if I wiggle my foot. I have tried compression socks.
I don't smoke and walk about 1-2 miles a day. I walked in XXXXXXX about 5miles a day.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steps delineated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems quite certain that the prolonged duration of having your legs dependent during the flight is responsible for the swelling of your feet. Some amount of lymphedema could also be present along. The following steps need to be taken to overcome the situation.
* Exercises. Light exercises in which you move your affected limb should help. Exercises shouldn't be strenuous or tire you but should focus on gentle contraction of the muscles in your arm or leg.
* Wrapping your arm or leg. Bandaging your entire limb encourages the fluid to flow back toward the trunk of your body. The bandage should be tightest around your toes and loosen as it moves up your leg.
* Massaging should help.
* Pneumatic compression. A sleeve worn over your affected leg connects to a pump that intermittently inflates the sleeve, putting pressure on your lower limbs and moving lymph fluid away from your toes.
* Compression garments. Long sleeves or stockings made to compress your leg encourage the flow of the lymph fluid out of your affected limb. You need to wear a compression garment when exercising the affected limbs.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha