Suggest treatment for swelling in the knee post an accident

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I injured the knee in a bike accident on asphalt (deep abrasions) 4 weeks ago. The abrasion has mostly healed, but the knee remains swollen, as does the calf and ankle, especially the calf. The only pain seems to be at the surface on the knee. There is no joint pain, and mobility is fine.
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get relevent investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi , I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
Persistent swelling in the knee , 4 weeks after the injury calls for proper investigation like X rays and MRI Knee if required. Swelling in the knee may trickle down to calf also.
In bike accident there is a possibility of damaging you knee joint ligaments and cushions ( called Menisci) which will become clinically troublesome only after the swelling disappears.
I suggest that you take pain killers and do quadriceps exercises( t0 be taught by a physiotherapists) .
Thanx for the question . Please feel free to ask any further questions.