Suggest treatment for swelling in the jaw while on Advil

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was stung twice yesterday by wasp on one arm very mild reaction on the other moderate swelling developed cold compress was applied within 40 min my jaw started to feel weird heavy like no breathing issues I took 2 antihistamines . I also took 400mg advil this was around 1pm. By 3:30 I was feeling a little better jaw not as heavy. By 9 my arm was throbbing fierce. Went to urgent care arm still throbbing and jaw mildly achy now, placed on dose pack but they inisted on tetanus shot. Why the tetanus
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's according to guidelines for tetanus prevention

Detailed Answer:

every kind of injury requires tetanus prophylaxis if the patient has not vaccinated recently (within 5-10 years depending on the injury) or the vaccination history is uncertain. Being stung by a wasp is an injury and there is some danger (a very rare one) for tetanus. That's why they insisted on it. It doesn't have anything to do with your symptoms. It's just the correct way to do things...

Kind Regards!