• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling in the hands along with fever

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi, my girlfriend is in Spain and her symptoms are a fever that comes and goes, swelling of her hands and feet, bloody eye, she can't keep food down.she feels weak.additional symptoms: her knuckles hurt. body aches, small pimples on her knuckles, blood pressure at times slightly borderline low. heart palpitations.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She is suffering from enteriris.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query-

Most likely your Gf is suffering from Gastroenteritis.
Viral gastroenteritis is an intestinal infection marked by watery diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea or vomiting, and sometimes fever. The most common way to develop viral gastroenteritis is through contact with an infected person or by ingesting contaminated food or water.It can caused by a number of nasty viruses, such as noroviruses, rotaviruses, and adenoviruses. These viruses target the digestive tract and cause inflammation of the stomach and intestines.Depending on the cause, viral gastroenteritis symptoms may appear within one to three days after you're infected and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms usually last just a day or two, but occasionally they may persist as long as 10 days.Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.Pain in knuckles and variation in blood pressure with aches is due to electrolyte imbalance.Fever results in mild palpitations.

Medication suggested are-
Therapy with Cefixime 200mg twice daily with Metronidazole 400mg thrice daily to be taken for 3 days. It is prescription medicine.
Take paracetamol 500mg thrice daily for any fever or aches and pains.
To control nausea Zofran 4mg should be given thrice daily.
Get sachets of electral(electrolyte solution) from nearest pharmacy and ask her to drink electrolytes 2-3 sips every 10-15 minutes.
Get plenty of rest.
Gradually begin to eat bland, easy-to-digest foods, such as soda crackers, toast, gelatin, bananas, rice and chicken. Stop eating if your nausea returns. Avoid milk and dairy products, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and fatty or highly seasoned foods for a few days.

Fever is suggestive of ongoing infection in body.
Advice-
Stool test should be done to rule out infection,
Complete blood count
Total and differencial leucocyte count.
Urine routine test
A final diagnosis can be made after results of these tests.
Follow up with reports.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 48 hours later
Has she been diagnosed with mononucleosis ? what can she do? and they not giving her medicine to treat it? she has bad headaches. please tell me
Answered by Dr. Sunil 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection is self limiting in nature and would take its time.

Detailed Answer:
Hey,
mononucleosis is caused by Ebstein barr virus.
Firstly a piece of advice for you-the virus that causes mono is transmitted through saliva, so you can get it by kissing, but you can also be exposed through a cough or sneeze, or by sharing a glass or food utensils with your Gf.So primary suggestion is that you should also get your saliva tested.

General suggestions for her-
Rest.
Drink plenty of fluids.
For sore throat, gargle with salt water or suck on lozenges, hard candy or frozen desserts.
Take acetaminophen(tylenol) or ibuprofen to relieve pain and fever.

Once the fever appears, it often lasts for a week or two. If there are no complications, the major symptoms usually last for 2 to 4 weeks, and then gradually resolve. E. Barr is a virus therefore we can take only palliative measures rest it will take its time 2-4 week and will then limit itself.

Infact there are not any medicine to treat EBV therefore medicines are given only to control secondary symptoms like pain,fever etc.

She an take Tylenol,Fluids and Ibuprofen for headaches.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist