• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling in the foot

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The top of my left foot is swollen I am walking with a cane and putting myweight on it also taking 1600 ibuprofin a day whay could be causing this

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Swelling of the foot is caused by accumulation of an excessive amount of watery fluid in cells or intercellular tissues. It can be due to cellulitis, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, arthritis, high altitude, high salt intake and any blood clot in the veins causing DVT.
Proper tests will help in detecting the exact cause. Do keep the foot elevated while resting.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Can the ibuprofin cause swelling
Brief Answer:
if you have taken it for many years.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
if you have been taking ibuprofen for many years then it can cause the swelling as it can affect the renal function.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon