• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling in the foot after a total hip replacement surgery

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello I had total hip replacement surgery 5 weeks ago and I know that swelling is normal but my left foot which is surgery side well it's swollen and feels like it has a sunburn with bursts of pains is that really normal because it keeps me awake at night and bothers me during the day, I have no signs of clots please help
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may add some medications like advil and alphintern tabs to decrease your swelling and follow on your elevation and compression else Doppler U/S to exclude DVT and protect your self from it's complications .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

I hope you feel better soon , in my opinion swelling in such cases maybe either due to vascular injuries like a small clot or DVT ( Deep vein Thrombosis ) or inflammation in your hip region that interferes with blood flow back toward the heart .
Sometimes blood clots is not easily diagnosed especially if it is a minor small or deep clot . Doppler U/S on your lower limb vascular system is highly diagnostic .
For now i recommend further elevation , compression and icing and use NSAIDs like advil or naproxen tabs twice after meals and alphintern tabs before meals 3 times a day to decrease your feet swelling and pain will be effective in most of cases .
If edema or swelling persists i recommend you visit your surgeon and Doppler U/S for proper evaluation and management . be patient and apply topical anti-inflammatory gels with gentle massaging is of good value .
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon