Suggest treatment for swelling in the fingers

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: doc, I'm a recovered drug user of 5 years now. In the past week had my mom and a uncle pass away, which lead me to use. Shortly after my thumb, index and middle finger began to swell, tingle and burn. I have used ice and Epson salt along with over the counter anti-inflammatory. does not seem to be getting much better. can you help in any way. thankfully this has stopped me from going on a down hill spiral, Thank you for any help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a mild nerve compression.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling and tingling is suggestive of a mild inflammation followed by a mild nerve compression. In addition to the pain killers and hot compress, you can start with methylcobalamin supplements and keep the arm elevated on two pillows while resting. Do increase your fluid and fresh fruit juice intake. This will help in improvement in next few days. In case the swelling or tingling increases then do consult an orthopedician for a direct examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar