Suggest treatment for swelling in the feet while on Amlodipine

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am on amlodipine besylate and I have changed from 5mg to 10 mg on Feb 15. This week I have been having swelling in my feet several nights and I have had slight nosebleeds the last 2 nights. I have called my dr's nurse line this week about the swelling, but they have not contacted me back. Should I be concerned over this?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommended as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding younger concern, I would explain that your symptoms ( leg swelling) seem to be related to amlodipine.

This is a common adverse effect related to amlodipine.

For this reason, I would recommended reducing the dose of amlodipine to 5 mg and add hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg in the morning to help for a good management of your blood pressure values.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regars,s,

Dr. Iliri