Suggest treatment for swelling in the ankles and feet

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: On November 18 I went to the emergency room because my ankles and feet were so swollen I didn't recognize them. I had been SOB 6 wks before but ignored it because I work as a sales rep and Optometric Practice consultant and I could not miss my appointments. They did a electrocardiogram and my ejection fraction was 10 to 13%. I was rushed to Cardiac Care Hospital where they did a heart XXXXXXX but there was nothing in my arteries everything was fine except my heart is emlarged and my heart rate runs between 90-120. Most likely cause by a virus. It has been 3 months now I am on Colanar, Lisinapril, 40mg Lasix, CoReg and Spirlactone. I go tomorrow for a follow up Ultrasound on my heart. I need to get back to work and my doctor said I never will be able to. I am wearing a Life Vest. He said I will get a pacemaker to replace the vest after the test. My question is I have no energy whatsoever! Will the pacemaker/defibulator give me the energy I had before? I drive around 500 miles a week. What will increase my energy? Is the low energy a common part of the Cardiomyopathy? I am a 60 yrs old.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on Health care Magic.

I have gone very carefully through your query.

As per your history is concerned you have cardiomyopathy and it is a condition where the heart muscle is abnormal. The main types of cardiomyopathy include dilated,hypertrophic and restrictive cardiomyopathy.Cardiomyopathy makes it harder for your heart to pump and deliver blood to the rest of your body.
It can be treated and type of treatment you will receive depends on which type of cardiomyopathy you have and how serious it is.

Cardiomyopathy has many underlying causes and infection is one among them. So treatment goal is to treat under laying pathology along with cardiomyopathy.

Your first question was whether pacemaker can give you the energy you had before my answer will be you may not get that energy as expected as your heart muscle is involved.

In your second question my answer will be you can discuss with your doctor for
Radio frequency ablation or ventricular assist devices.

In your last question I may say that low energy is common part of the cardiomyopathy.

Hope that helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T