Suggest treatment for swelling in the ankle

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I sit all day..I notice my right ankle swells up slightly. Also there is no swelling in the AM when I get up. I have this for years. I am a Type II diabetic, with A-Fib. All blood work is normal as of Dec,2016. Also, can legs look thinner in the morning?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to different causes:

1- possible chronic vein insufficiency in this leg, which seems to be the most probable cause considering the fact that swelling is related to a certain position
2- heart failure( sometimes it can cause asymmetric swelling in the lower limbs)
3- diltiazem ( like other calcium channel blockers) can cause limb swelling as an adverse effect.

Coming to this point, I would recommend performing some tests to investigate for the possible causes:

- a cardiac ultrasound
- a Doppler ultrasound of the leg vessels
- blood electrolytes
- kidney and lived function tests.

If these tests result normal, you should consider reducing the dose of diltiazem.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri