Suggest treatment for swelling in leg and foot

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my right leg and foot are swollen.. should I be worried? no pain and from my knee on down
Answered by Dr. Adrian Rawlinson 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to exclude a thrombosis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your message. I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability.

The main thing that we worry about when you have a one-sided leg swelling is a thrombosis. This is sometimes called a Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT. The common symptoms to watch for include:

Swelling in your foot, ankle, or leg on one side
Cramping pain in your affected leg that usually begins in your calf
Pain in your foot and ankle
An area of skin that feels warmer than the skin on the surrounding areas
Skin over the affected area turning pale or a reddish or bluish color

I think it would be important for you to have this looked at by your primary care doctor - just to exclude the possibility of a DVT.

I hope this is useful. Please message me back if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,

Adrian Rawlinson MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Adrian Rawlinson

Sports Medicine Specialist