Suggest treatment for swelling in hands and legs after insect bite

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: hi good evening,

I was sting by a insect, i saw it and i took it out, after 24 hours it swell up and a red line appeared tracking to my elbow, i went in to hospital and they gave me oral antibiotics, no left leg.w after taking 4 doses of antibiotics, the red line is getting lighter, but the swelling to my hand is getting bigger, as well it appeared a swelling to my left foot.
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need anti allergic cover too

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to healthcare magic forum.
I am dr aslam here to help you.
Progressive swelling following insect bites usually indicates allergic reaction. So in addition to antibiotics we need antiallergenic medications like steroids and antihistamine too.addition of simple analgesics also will hasten recovery.also,its better to get a tetanus shot.you can discuss this with your treating doctor.
Hope I have answered your question. Wishing for a faster cure,thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D