Suggest treatment for swelling in ankles and feet

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have swelling with my ankes and feet which appears to be water swelling along with brown spots going from my feet up to my knees, and joint pain in my toes, whats causing that?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to kidney or heart problem

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Swelling in both feet can be due to either kidney or heart problem. Mostly it occurs when patient is loosing protein in urine. Before I advised you any further I would like to know little detail about the illness.
1.Since when you are having this problem?
2.Are you having increase frequency of urine or burning ?
3.Are you also having high blood pressure or any other medical illness?
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 5 hours later
i have been having these problems for over a month, and yes i do have more frequent urinating during that time. its gotten a little worse lately. also discoloration has appeared in my feet as well.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need few investigations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for replying. I think that you may be having kidney dysfunction. I would recommend you to get these blood tests.
1.Blood urea nitrogen and creatinine level
2.Blood electrolyte level
3.Blood pressure measurement
These tests will confirm diagnosis for us. High salt intake can be cause of this. I would also recommend you to check if you are not having blue color dilated veins in the feet. That can also case discoloration and swelling.It is called varicose veins.
A physician can examine your leg and confirm this problem.
I hope this answer will be useful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
I
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement