Suggest treatment for swelling at the site of wood tick bite

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 8 yr old son was bitten by a wood tick (it was definitely brown and not black like a deer tick) near the tip of his penis. We were able to successfully remove the tick with head intact (it was wiggling and trying to escape when we tossed it in the toilet and flushed). About 1 week later, he noticed a spot where the bite was that looked like a whitehead. We assumed it was a pimple-like reaction to his body killing off the germs as it was definitely not a bullseye rash and there was no swelling, itching or pain associated. 2 weeks later (this morning) he has just shown me his penis has swollen at the tip. I have palpated and feel no significant lumps and he has no pain when I do so. However, it certainly seems like there is excess liquid build up in the area where the bite was causing the swelling. When I palpate that area it looks like a water balloon about to pop but only in that area. Again, he has no pain, fever or itching. He does have a cold with sore throat right now but we all do (and started at same time and believe it was from a restaurant we visited a couple days ago) so we believe it is not related to the tick bite. What do we do about the swelling? Should we take him to see his pediatrician or is there a remedy we can try at home first? Thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
better to seek medical attention

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to health care magic forum.
I am dr aslam here to help you.

A swelling at the site if bite after some days usually indicates secondary infection. Anyhow, as he has no fever or pain,the infection is well controlled and well treatable. It just need drainage of the collection followed by a course of antibiotic, usually for 5 to 7 days.
If the child not fully immunized, we need to have a tetanus shot also.

Kindly see your pediatrician or primary physician for further management.
Hope your query us answered. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj