• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling at the base of the glans penis after circumcision

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi. I am 26 and I had circumcision a month back. But i still have swelling at the base of head of the penis. should i need to worry or does it take more weeks to cure from swelling?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may take a few more weeks to heal completely completely.

Detailed Answer:
Good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic!

Generally it would take some more time before it would be normal looking. I would assume it is better looking now than a few weeks ago? It would really help me alot if you could take a picture of the dwelling and upload it on this site so I may be able to help you better.

Signs of infection would be good smelling discharge, swelling getting bigger and bigger, tenderness at and around the area.

I suggest washing with soap and water. No sexual activity or masturbation. Eating healthy and intake of vitamin C for healing.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 21 minutes later

I uploaded the pictures of swelling. please have a look and let me know. And I would also like to know whether drinking alcohol is suggested or not. Also please let me know whether physical exercises like gym and swimming should be avoided.
Also, I am prone to keloid. And on the base of penis it looks like a hard bump on the back of the penis head. Does that mean there is a possibility of forming keloid?

And Also please let me know approximate number of weeks it can take to cure the swelling.
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should be okay in 2-3 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for uploading the pictures. It looks like it is healing nicely with no signs of infection or any problems.

There was evident edema and a little swelling in the underside where the suture are and I would expect it to be better in 2-3 more weeks.

Alcohol in moderation is okay,Gym and swimming is definitely a no until everything feels and looks normal. In like 2-3 weeks.

Keloid is unavoidable and there might be a permanent lump in the suture line on the underside of the penis but I wouldn't worry too much about it because I feel it won't cause too much of a problem in terms of sexual functioning.
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 22 minutes later
Is there anything I could do from my side to quicken the reduce of swelling? And do I need to apply a hot pack or cold pack on the swelling to reduce it? I am applying a hot pack using this "http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/pain-fever/hot-or-cold-therapy/cvs-health-peas-hot-or-cold-therapy-pack-prodid-0000". I used to apply the hot pack every night and in the morning when I woke up and see the penis, I would see swelling is increased but once I get into my work by wearing pants and briefs, I could observe that swelling would be reduced by the afternoon or sometime. I am not quite getting to know whether it is healing or not.

And also I read this thread "http://www.healthboards.com/boards/mens-health/643481-prolonged-swelling-after-adult-circumcision-advice.html" where people are saying they are having swelling even after 8 months of surgery which makes me little worried. Is that really true?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Just wait it out and let your body do the healing.

Detailed Answer:
Basically the next thing you can do is do nothing that could aggravate the swelling. limit physical activity as much as possible adequate nutrition and rest would go a long way. Ascorbic acid twice a day had been also shown to increase would healing. Application of warm compress may also help decrease swelling.

I wouldn't read so much horror stories or bad experiences in the internet because they will just add anxiety on your part.

Personally in my experience circumcision is a non complicated procedure and patients are back to normal in 4-8 weeks post surgery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist