Suggest treatment for swelling and numbness in the foot

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Both of my feet are swollen and are partialy numb from toes to arch of foot.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more information.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
As you are seeing your doctor every 2 months I would like to know what health issues you have. Swelling of the feet are most commonly due to fluid collection in the sub cutaneous tissue. This can occur in kidney diseases, liver diseases, due to a decreased pumping action of the heart or even use of anti inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs). There can be local causes like clot in the veins, lymphedema.
The treatment of the swelling depends on the cause and therefore please let me have the complete picture before I make suggestions to help you.

Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 19 minutes later
To answer your questions, I am diagnosed osteoarthritis (both knees have been removed), it is in my lower back and hands. I have fybromyalgia, and was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. my meds range from gabapentin, lithium, locac,naproxen, diazapan, topiramate, propranolol, amitriptyline, pecocet, lamotrigine, zopiclone, trazodone, and sumatriptan for headaches.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Salt retention and reduced lymph flow.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Since you had surgery to replace your knees, some draining lymph vessels would have been cut in the process, decreasing the flow of lymph. This can lead to its collection in the legs and feet , giving rise to swelling.
Naproxen is a NSAID. This leads to salt retention and swelling.
Restrict salt and fluids. You can also use small dose of diuretic like lasix to reduce the swelling.

Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 4 days later
The diagnosis would have been fine, but I had my knees replaced 6 years ago and been on naproxen for 9 years
Brief Answer:
Long time NSAID usage can harm

Detailed Answer:
Since you had not mentioned the temporal details of the surgery and medication, I presumed them to be recent. Please check your kidney and liver functions and let me know.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
will be seeing family Dr. this week will advise. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
It was nice interacting with you.
Will appreciate your update after shall be happy to give my opinion
Wish you good health and a great day.