Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

183 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for swelling and bruising in the hip after a fall

Answered by
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1209 Questions

Posted on Sat, 8 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell down my steps about 6 months ago and hit the top of my hip. it was really bruised and now i still have a swollen area that hasn't went away what could it be? Its about the size of a grapefruit
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consolidated haematoma

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms it seems that after the fall,you had internal bleeding in the traumatised soft tissue.Usually,this happens in the subcutaneous plane or within the muscle tissue.

If this internal bleeding does not resolve spontaneously,then later it leads in the accumulation of the thickened clotted blood resulting in a consolidated haematoma.

6 months is a high time and i suggest you to get a ultrasound / MRI of the affected part done to see the extent and exact size of the haematoma.

Usually,if its large in size and painful,then it may need surgical drainage.

You should consult a orthopaedic surgeon / general surgeon for further management.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 24 minutes later
Its not painful or anything it just looks weird.

All the bruising has gone away, its just a swollen area now
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no surgery required at present

Detailed Answer:
If it is not painful then at present you can just get the investigations done.

No need for immediate surgery.

You can take proteolytic enzyme tablets like trypsin,chymotrypsin,serratiopeptidase etc which are known to resolve such haematoms.

Do let me know the reports of the investigations once they are ready.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 6 hours later
Are these over the counter medications?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need to check with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
I do not think these are over the counter medications.

You need to check and confirm with your doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Topics ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Chymotrypsin

doctor1 MD

I have pain in ankle of my right foot. it is swollen a bite and I have been having it for the past 5 days. I have been taking ibuprofen 400 mg two times a day and I do not know if meloxicam will be better.prior to this pain, I think I hit my foot...

doctor1 MD

I have been having ankle pain looks like the bone is sticking way out and I get burning pain I can not stand a long time and the more activity I do the worse it gets I think I might have flat feet too

doctor1 MD

I just found out that I have a large plantar calcaneal spur , and I am trying to function with the pain. I am icing the foot, am exercising, and taking pain meds. My question is how long before the pain goes away, and I can walk normally and...

doctor1 MD

Hi , I have my nice aged 3 years , and she fallen from stairs and got injury just above the eye brow , doctor has sticehd the wound and used 5 stitches , i wanna know that can i give her any Typsin, Bromelain & Rutoside Trihydrate combination or any Trypsin Chymotrypsin combination as a proteolytic enzyme for early healing and reduced scaring ? If yes , kindly suggest the dose . Thanks

doctor1 MD

I had a stool GI panel and one of the biggest concerns I have is the alpha anti-chymotrypsin came back as 292 which is way off the charts. Normal is 180. Should I be in the hospital or how should this be treated? I started taking Cephalexin (500 mg) and also am starting on probiotics and digestive enzymes. Am very uncomfortable, lots of bloating and gas and a sensitive, sore colon.

doctor1 MD

Hi, what is the recommended usage of lysoflam.
Is it fine if i take 3 tablets in a day (doc prescribed 2 but i feel to take more for fever).
Also, what are the salts in lysoflam? When i saw online, it showed diclofenac and paracetamol but the tablet I bought has trypsin and chymotrypsin also..

doctor1 MD

today I was playing baseball and I took a direct hit from a wild pitch to my lower left shin it immediately swelled up then for hours after my foot was numb when I got up and tried to walk sharp pain on the front and also back of leg occurred after I made it home and got off my foot the mussle that runs down the shin to the foot felt as if it was on fire with a burning sensation also I noticed that I was even feeling pain up around the top of my knee or lower thigh what should I do