Suggest treatment for swelling and bruising in the hip after a fall

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 8 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell down my steps about 6 months ago and hit the top of my hip. it was really bruised and now i still have a swollen area that hasn't went away what could it be? Its about the size of a grapefruit
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consolidated haematoma

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms it seems that after the fall,you had internal bleeding in the traumatised soft tissue.Usually,this happens in the subcutaneous plane or within the muscle tissue.

If this internal bleeding does not resolve spontaneously,then later it leads in the accumulation of the thickened clotted blood resulting in a consolidated haematoma.

6 months is a high time and i suggest you to get a ultrasound / MRI of the affected part done to see the extent and exact size of the haematoma.

Usually,if its large in size and painful,then it may need surgical drainage.

You should consult a orthopaedic surgeon / general surgeon for further management.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 24 minutes later
Its not painful or anything it just looks weird.

All the bruising has gone away, its just a swollen area now
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no surgery required at present

Detailed Answer:
If it is not painful then at present you can just get the investigations done.

No need for immediate surgery.

You can take proteolytic enzyme tablets like trypsin,chymotrypsin,serratiopeptidase etc which are known to resolve such haematoms.

Do let me know the reports of the investigations once they are ready.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 6 hours later
Are these over the counter medications?
Brief Answer:
need to check with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
I do not think these are over the counter medications.

You need to check and confirm with your doctor.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj