Suggest treatment for super-refractory status epilepticus in a 8 year old child

Dr. A.S. Keerthi

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 16 Jul 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: 8yrs son suffering Super Refractory Status Epilepticus

seizures are stopped no but still unconscious. kindly review the summary and help us to get consciousness without triggering seizures.
Answered by Dr. A.S. Keerthi 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neuroprotective drugs may be tried.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXX,
It is very unfortunate that your son had super refractory status epilepticus, the exact cause of which could not be established. Despite of many antiepileptic drugs(AEDs), Vilohit continues to have seizures. The seizures cause cerebral damage. So first priority is to adjust AEDs. Next you can try certain neuroprotective agents like citicholine, piracetam which are safe and not epileptogenic. But these are not of proven benefit in this setting. Kindly discuss with your treating neurologist before changing the treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad