Suggest treatment for sunburn on scalp and hair loss on crown of head

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I spent about 4 hours in the sun yesterday and suffered a sunburn on my scalp. I have thinning hair on the crown of my head, but it is only mildly thinning. I don't have an actual bald spot. I was wondering two things. 1) How does this affect hair loss? 2) Does one bad episode in the sun increase the chances for skin cancer?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Protect your skin, it is one of the most important organs in the body

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for using this website.

I read carefully the information you provided and the questions you have.
Here there is my answer to them.

1)Does your skin in the head hurts? In general sunburns are superficial, so hair loss should not be a problem.
But, if you have ruptured blisters immediately, or if you have not pain, means that the burn is more deep, and it may have gotten until the roots of the hair. In this case the hair may not grow again. This is very rare though, for the sunburn to go that deep, and nevertheless in the head, where the skin is thicker and protected by hair.

2) One episode of burn does not affect that much to the chances for skin cancer. Remember though that your skin in the head is very often in contact with the sun. Even if you don't get the burn, you get the sun ultra-waves. So, keep in mind, that if your skin in the head gets exposed, consider wearing a hat when you go in the sun, walk in the shades, use sun cream, ect.

For the moment, keep that skin moisturized so it stays hydrated, and regenerates faster.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Take care,
Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Klarida Papaqako