• question-icon

Suggest treatment for suicidal thoughts

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: i attempted suiside last week and i did this 3 x 17 years ago i have been looking to see a psychiatrist apparently i have no luck due to my health insurance provider i just got divorced and im so depressed can you help?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some clarifications

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for using Healthcare Magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
However I would like to know own a few more details.
I would like to know a few details before I can proceed.
1. How is ur mood for over last 2 weeks?
2. How is your interest in things?
3. Do you feel the pleasure in earlier acts which you used to enjoy?
4. How is your energy levels?
5. When you look at future how does it appear to you?
6. How is your sleep and appetite?
7.Is there any active stress going on in your life..
Hope to hear from you soon.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 47 minutes later
last 2 weeks was too depressed, attempted suicide
my energy level is very low
my future look is nothing

i dont sleep well 3 hrs is the longest
i am not enjoying what im doing
i feel so lonely of my divorced i would say very stressful
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Depression it is

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for all the details.
From what you have stated it is quite clear that you are having a depressive episode. Depression can occur with regular stress and it can also occur biologically without any stress as well. You need proper treatment for the same. There are various effective therapies for depression like fluoxetine, venlafaxine, bupropion, mirtazapine or escitalopram and they are all very effective and mostly safe. You may also require some benzodiazepines like clonazepam or lorazepam for a short period like 2-3 weeks to reduce the anxiety and help with your sleep.
If you are averse to the drug therapies then there is also an option of cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 30-45 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness.
This needs to be sorted out.
Do visit a psychiatrist locally, he will guide your treatment further.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist