Suggest treatment for sudden weight gain and delay in periods

Question
hi doc,
well i have a gynac related problem.
well all my life i have had normal regular menstrual cycle.28 to 30 day cycle. i got married 4 months back . and in may 22nd was my period date,but i did not get down dat day i did mu UPT , it was negative.then waited a week again did UPT. again negative. as my friend is a gynae JR so i asked her. so i gt USG and CBC and thyroid test. al normal.just my left ovary showed simple cyst of very small size. and waiting and waiting i started to get slight spotting on 3rd XXXXXXX very faint and suddenly on 6th night i was in the flight when my flow increased alot. and i had a heavy flow till 13th then i asked my friend she suggested trapic mf for 3 days TDS. and my flow stopped on 17th. then this month i got my periods on time on 3rd july again it started with spotting or very minimal flow till 4 to 5 days(dat used to be the days my periods lasted normally)and from 6th day the flow suddenly becomes excessive and clotty.and at present i am still having excessive menstrual bleeding. what should i do. what can be the cause. i am under some kind of mental stress though. but that i have been even before. what can be the cause?what should be the line of treatment? what tests should i repeat?and what about the weight that i have gained in last 2 months?
kindly please help me out.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cyclical hormpnes / exercises/ positivity help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
I understand your concern.
You are worried about your mental stress, irregular periods & weight gain after your marriage.
Marriage brings about major change in a girls life from many angles.

Her family, environment, new customs / habits in the in new family definitely give her a sense of fear/ awkwardness.She also starts her sexual life,her routine changes drastically-All of these result in emotional changes. she is nervous/ insecure. This automatically goes as she gets accustomed with the change.

Menstrual irregularity is common in newly married girls. That is due to Psychological stress/nervousness/anxiety/worry directly reflect in hormonal functioning,& change in menstrual pattern.

Hormonal change many a times causes small cysts in ovary-again causing menstrul irregularity.
Changes in eating habits are because of psychological nervousness which results in less eating/ excessive eating. Eating healthy is essential for hormonal normality & so normal menses.
Weight gain or loss is a common finding in newly married girls the cause being new eating habits in family/ psychological stress.

In this light I would advice you-
- to consult a Gynecologist for physical examination, few investigations like CBC/ USG / thyroid test( that you have already done & are normal),
- A hormonal assay/ endometrial biopsy may be needed to decide exact
treatment plan.
- Fasting & post meal blood sugar may be advised in case of family history of diabetes. Insulin resistance test/ USG for PCOD may be advised- in case there is no relief in 3 months of hormonal treatment. Usually specific hormonal treatment for three months & optimum exercises & positive attitude will mostly control your problem. I think that is the way forward and the treatment plan.

Thanks..

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sudden weight gain and delay in periods 30 hours later
thanks your advise was very helpfull doc.
i hv been advised trapic -mf TDS for 3 days to stop bleeding
and then start with Dronis- 20mg from 2nd day of the cycle for 3 consecutive months.
is that good for hormonal treatment.
which i can add with some exercise
and a good diet.

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dronis 20, Low cal diet & exercises will help.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up query.
- Yes the advise you received is correct.
- Trapic Mf helped in regulating your pain & bleeding you had.
- This was correctly followed by Dronis 20 pill. It is a good hormonal option-for the ladies having irregular periods, With a bit of weight gain. It will take care of post marriage hormonal imbalance as well as possibility of PCOD in future.
- And as you are planning if this is accompanied by diet control as well as regular exercises--will definitely be rewarding!
* Exercises have to be weight reducing .( 40 minutes brisk walk /day, Yoga exercises/ aerobics).
I know, convinced about the treatment plan,you would follow it as per advise & your problem will be over.Any further query is welcome.
Wish you all the best! & thanks once more.