Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for sudden swelling with history of pulmonary thromboembolism

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 3312 Questions
My relative. Male age . 51 years old. Previous case of Pulmonary thromboembolism 8 years back. Ivc filter placed. On medication for eight years.
Now sudden swelling for two days. Is it critical/life threatening.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,

I have carefully gone through your concern,and would like to address the same.
As per your clinical history, a sudden onset of swelling in the leg is most likely to be newly formed Deep vein thromboses,especially with a significant past history of Pulmonary Thromboembolism with an implanted Vena caval filter.

This condition is definitely a life threatening condition if left untreated or attended lately.

Remember deep vein thrombus is both limb and life stealing disease and is the most common cause for pulmonary thromboembolism in your relative's case.

All he needs as of now is an urgent referral to an expert emergency/intensive care room for quick and a thorough analysis of his limb condition with investigations like Venous Doppler Ultrasound of his both legs and an urgent two dimensional Echocardiography ,and if needed a CT Pulmonary Angiography at later stage.

Treatment in this case requires an urgent anticoagulation measures with i.v Heparin for blood clot dissolution with special emphasis laid of reviewing placed I.V.C filter.

I hope and wish this feedback is quite helpful and convincing to you.
Please feel free to post your further follow up queries if any,i shall feel humble to answer them as well.
Thank you.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor