Suggest treatment for sudden swelling with history of pulmonary thromboembolism

Excellent

Question
My relative. Male age . 51 years old. Previous case of Pulmonary thromboembolism 8 years back. Ivc filter placed. On medication for eight years.
Now sudden swelling for two days. Is it critical/life threatening.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
NEEDS AN URGENT ANTI COAGULATION OF FORMED CLOT.

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,

I have carefully gone through your concern,and would like to address the same.
As per your clinical history, a sudden onset of swelling in the leg is most likely to be newly formed Deep vein thromboses,especially with a significant past history of Pulmonary Thromboembolism with an implanted Vena caval filter.

This condition is definitely a life threatening condition if left untreated or attended lately.

Remember deep vein thrombus is both limb and life stealing disease and is the most common cause for pulmonary thromboembolism in your relative's case.

All he needs as of now is an urgent referral to an expert emergency/intensive care room for quick and a thorough analysis of his limb condition with investigations like Venous Doppler Ultrasound of his both legs and an urgent two dimensional Echocardiography ,and if needed a CT Pulmonary Angiography at later stage.

Treatment in this case requires an urgent anticoagulation measures with i.v Heparin for blood clot dissolution with special emphasis laid of reviewing placed I.V.C filter.

I hope and wish this feedback is quite helpful and convincing to you.
Please feel free to post your further follow up queries if any,i shall feel humble to answer them as well.
Thank you.
Dr.Suresh