Suggest treatment for sudden increase in blood pressure

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i HAVE AFIB AND HYPERTENSION AND POST POLIO SYNDROME. USUALLY HAVE AFIB OFF AND ON AND BLOOD PRESSURE REMAINS AROUND 145 OVER 85 AND PULSE ABOUT 60-70 ON MEDS. LAST TWO DAYS AFIB IS CONSTANT AND BLOOD PRESSURE HIGHER--SOMETIMES 177-199 OVER 90-105 AND PULSE 90-100. I DO NOT FEEL SICK.BUT I AM CONCERNED. VERY HARD TO GET TRANSPORTATION TO DOCTOR. JUST SAW HIM LAST WEEK FOR REGULAR CHECKUP AND ONLY PROBLEM WAS HIGH CHOLESTEROL AND HIGH CALCIUM. AND BLOOD PRESSURE WAS HIGHER THAN USUSAL,DR. INCREASED MYLISINOPRIL FRIM 5 TO 10 .
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your blood pressure values are above the normal ranges. This means that your actual therapy is not very effective in the management of high blood pressure.

The dose of Mylisinopril that you are taking is a low dose (even 10mg per day). I would recommend increasing the dose again to 20mg per day, which you can take as a single dose in the morning.

You should know that every change in antihypertensive therapy needs some days (up to a week) to cause stable changes to your blood pressure.

So if after 5 days of increasing the dose of mylisinopril, your blood pressure are still above 140/90 mmHg, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and discussing the possibility of adding another drug to your therapy (a calcium channel blocker like amlodipine, lercanidipine ) would be helpful.

I would also recommend some diet modifications:

- reduce salt and caffeine intake
- reduce food rich in cholesterol (like red meat, butter, etc.)
- increase food rich in omega 3 fatty acids (fish, fish oil, olive oil, walnuts, etc.)
- reduce food rich in calcium (like milk, yougurt, cheeze) for a short period until your calcium plasma levels are stabilized.

Hope your will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 hours later
Thanks. For your assistance.
Brief Answer:
you are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful!

You can ask me directly at any time if you have any other concerns at my personal link:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=69765

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri

p.s.: You can rate my answer if you found it helpful!