Suggest treatment for sudden cramp in hand

Posted on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Thank you. I suddenly got like a cramp in my hand. My fingers bent and took a few seconds to return to normal. No pain though
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hypocalcemia to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

Probably you got a carpal spasm-involuntary cramp like contraction of hand muscles.This most commonly results from hypocalcemia,due to hyper excitability of skeletal muscles,and can be corrected by calcium supplementation.Also,we have to look for any electrolyte disturbances.Your doctor will guide you in this.You may be asked for investigations like Na/K estimation,serum calcium estimation etc.

Meanwhile,try to include enough fruits and green leafy veges in your diet.

Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Muhammed Aslam.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Muhammed Aslam