Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

170 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for strong vaginal odor

Answered by
Dr. S Patra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4047 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I work out a lot.... running, boot camp, etc. And I sweat A LOT.... I feel like a lot more than most women. Including, "down there". When I work out or sweat, I get a strong vaginal odor. Frankly, it stinks and I'm extremely self-conscious about it. Is this normal? I feel like the odor is excessive. I had a PAP in February.....have one every year and they always come back normal. But this smell has been going on for as long as I can remember. There has to be something I can do???? HELP PLEASE!
Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Strong vaginal odor (Fishy smell) with or without discharge is MOSTLY suggestive of Bacterial Vaginosis. One swab test or wet mount preparation is helpful to confirm the diagnosis. You should maintain genital hygiene properly and avoid sexual contact until problem is completely resolved.

2) Treatment: a) Metronidazole or Clindamycin either orally or vaginally are highly effective to treat this type condition. If you are sexually active, then your partner also needs one course of antibiotic. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist or healthcare provider for complete prescription.

b) Use VAGISIL Odor Block Protection Wash or pH Balance wash - twice daily. Drink more water with added salt- sugar to stay hydrated. Bathing at least twice daily and maintenance of genital hygiene are mandatory. Avoid sugary products and take vitamin & anti-oxidant supplement.

c) Prebiotics and probiotics (containing Lactobacillus) are also effective to maintain NORMAL vaginal flora and prevent recurrent infection.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Vaginal flora

doctor1 MD

i had tested for ureaplasma and results came positive, i asked my boyfriend to be tested too, he did and it came negative, i did take medication and waiting for second lab results, My question does it spread only sexually?

doctor1 MD

I am 21 weeks pregnant and have had recurrent vaginal infections and thrush infections during my pregnancy . A friend of mine suggested I take oral probiotic supplements to try and help. I purchased a product called Optibak which claims to contain...

doctor1 MD

Odorless, white/clear/sometimes faint yellowish/ sometimes clumpy looking/ sometimes watery vaginal discharge . No itching. Have been tested at ob/gyn office for bv, yeast, chlamydia and gonorrhea-- all have been negtive. Not pregnant. No pain...

doctor1 MD

Hello can you interpret my PAP Smear result: Specimen adequacy - satisfactory for evaluation, Descriptive Diagnosis: Benign Cellular Changes Infection: predominance of coccobacilli consistent with shift in vaginal flora , Inflammation (includes atypical repair) Comments: Severe inflammation and abundant neutrophils. Hormonal evaulation compatible with age and history, maturation index: superficial 100%, intermediate 0% parabasal 0%. Thanks in advance for answering doc.

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 29 years old female, i am having problems like brownish and sometimes blood stains in vaginal discharge . doctor asked me to do a test and report says Pus cells : 10-12/ HPF RBCs : 0-2/ HPF Epithelial cells : + Trichomonas vaginal : Nil Candida : Nill stained smear : Organism present are normal vaginal flora .(Nugent score = 2) I am really worried about this. need your help. thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi . I have an itchy labia minora . It only itches when touched. But this only started after i took an antibiotic which is co amoxiclav because of my cough . I took already yogurt and lactobacillus capsules but the itchiness is still there and i saw 3 little fingerlike projections . I am worried if what disease i have do i need to go for check up
Ps and my last intercourse is last 2 months

doctor1 MD

I have been on birth control since march and am just now starting to notice a very strong vaginal odor. I will admit that I do not have the best diet but have never had a problem with hormones or with keeping up with my health. I have no pain or irritation, no issues urinating, no itching or burning sensation and no odd discharge. I can't seem to figure out whats wrong.