Suggest treatment for strong vaginal odor

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I work out a lot.... running, boot camp, etc. And I sweat A LOT.... I feel like a lot more than most women. Including, "down there". When I work out or sweat, I get a strong vaginal odor. Frankly, it stinks and I'm extremely self-conscious about it. Is this normal? I feel like the odor is excessive. I had a PAP in February.....have one every year and they always come back normal. But this smell has been going on for as long as I can remember. There has to be something I can do???? HELP PLEASE!
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS. FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Strong vaginal odor (Fishy smell) with or without discharge is MOSTLY suggestive of Bacterial Vaginosis. One swab test or wet mount preparation is helpful to confirm the diagnosis. You should maintain genital hygiene properly and avoid sexual contact until problem is completely resolved.

2) Treatment: a) Metronidazole or Clindamycin either orally or vaginally are highly effective to treat this type condition. If you are sexually active, then your partner also needs one course of antibiotic. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist or healthcare provider for complete prescription.

b) Use VAGISIL Odor Block Protection Wash or pH Balance wash - twice daily. Drink more water with added salt- sugar to stay hydrated. Bathing at least twice daily and maintenance of genital hygiene are mandatory. Avoid sugary products and take vitamin & anti-oxidant supplement.

c) Prebiotics and probiotics (containing Lactobacillus) are also effective to maintain NORMAL vaginal flora and prevent recurrent infection.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326