• question-icon

Suggest treatment for stress and high BP

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My blood pressure this evening was158/113. I have been under an excessive amount of stress for the last few months, and have felt close to cracking. Could my blood pressure have something to do with it?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, certainly it related to anxiety to some extent

Detailed Answer:
Blood pressure is related to anxiety to some extent but can't be attributed wholely to it. It is also related to age as well.
You should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high calorie diet. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week then once or twice a week. If bp is persistently more than 140/90 mmhg, then you should be on medicines for it like Tab Amlodipine 5 mg once a day in the morning.
Also have regular exercises like brisk walking, jogging according your capacity atleast 30 min a day and 5 days a week. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits, fish once or twice a week, avoid meat. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. For stress along with medicine, you should also do yoga, relaxation techniques like deep breathing etc.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist