Suggest treatment for strep throat

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 12 May 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son had a, serum sickness like reaction back in January and dr's have said he can not have penicillin, clavulin, or macrolides as they are unsure of which one caused this. Last Thursday he was confirmed to have strep throat and prescribed a Cephaelix and the past few days his temp has been around 99.5....I am concerned this might be the first sign of another reaction which I was told was possible....should I be worried? No other signs, hives etc at this point.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be first sign or another reaction since no other manifestations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I do not think that there is any reason to be worried. Strep throat does not always need to be treated with antibiotics but it is good that cephalexin has been given. I would suggest you to try to make your child gurgle with lukewarm water as it would provide him relief. I do not think that it is first sign of another reaction. In any case it is hard to comment further without examining the child. Hence I would suggest keeping the child under regular follow up of his treating physician.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das