Suggest treatment for strep infection

Dr. Manmeet Kaur

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Infections
Question: strep test came back positive with Enterbacter aerogenes. Was originally on amoxicillan, but have learned that its not an effective antibiotic. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Manmeet Kaur 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ANTIOBIOTIC WILL BE CHANGED IF NO IMPROVEMENT Detailed Answer: Hi there thanks for asking question at Healthcare magic I have read your query. You are right that recent investigations have shown that resistance has developed against many class of antibiotics. But that must not discourage you from the use. Your doctor has provided you the amoxiciilin with some rationale. There should be one thing made clear to you what we read in studies about resistance against particular drug is due is a result that occurs to probably one patient in thousands. Otherwise all these drugs would have gone totally out of use. Dear they are still available in market. Like we make an insecticide, but still few strains of that insect survive because they are the new strains that are not affected, similar is in the case of bacteria. It is a norm to start with the simpler antibiotic So have trust in your doctor. If this antibiotic does not work there are newer antibiotics that imipenam , cefexitin, ceftazidime, colistin that can be provided by your healthcare provider. I hope you will not worry now
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad