Suggest treatment for stool incontinence

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I pass stool in my pants without even knowing it is happening,what is causing this
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is stool incontinence. See a gastroenterologist!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for contacting us with your health worry.

Like I mentioned above, you have fecal incontinence. Fecal incontinence is defined as the involuntary loss of solid or liquid feces. This might result from dysfunction of the anal sphincters, abnormal rectal compliance, decreased rectal sensation, or a combination of any of these abnormalities.

Evaluation will look at the colon and make sure there is no inflammation or abnormal growth. If there is diarrhea we will also request for a stool exam. The most important thing is to get the full evaluation going and this requires that you meet and talk with a gastroenterologist.

Without having done a full evaluation, initial measures are supportive. I recommend that you avoid foods and activities that worsen this symptom, especially incompletely digested sugars such as fructose and sucrose. Also keep the area clean by cleansing with an antiseptic wipes and possibly applying zinc oxide to make sure it stays dry. Also, increase fiber intake. Diapers to avoid soiling the bed and dresses is highly encouraged.

As mentioned, fecal incontinence which needs full evaluation and management. Supportive measures pending fun evaluation by a gastroenterologist.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me and ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Kind regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana