Suggest treatment for stomach upset
I have an appointment with a nutrionist on May 4th. However, I am wondering about some things I read on the internet, such as dysbiosis, unbalanced bacteria, etc. I also had suggestions that I simply try a laxative and "start over." I would appreciate any suggestions.
Indigestion following gut infection
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
You are probably having indigestion following bowel infection after eating some bad food from the refrigerator. Though the stool test did not reveal anything, this is the most likely cause.
CT scan has ruled out serious issues.
Yes, you can take some laxative like Miralax to evacuate retained stool and then take a course probiotics for relief.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks for your review of my condition and suggestions. If I may say, your diagnosis matched my own, but our local gastroenterology doctors lean toward surgery-colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc., and so it has taken a long time (in my view) to get back to the basics.
I would like to ask some questions on this subject.
1) Is there a better stool test than the one I took-I think there were 9 categories in the one I took? Should I undergo another/better stool test
2) Are there any other tests such as breath or urine that I could have taken to diagnose the problem?
3) Why do you think an infection was not suggested in the first place? And would an antibiotic have helped solve the problem?
4) How much Miralax should I try-once a day, several days?
Regarding probiotics, are they intended to restore bacterial balance? Is there some information online that you would suggest for me to read before proceeding with that type of "solution?"
Thanks very much.
Answer given below
Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.
1. Please upload the stool test report so that I can go through it and tell you whether the test is good enough.
2. You need not go for other tests like breath test or urine test.
3. I cant say why infection was not suggested in the first place. Yes appropriate antibiotic or even a good probiotic would have solved the problem.
4. Take Miralax till you get good bowel movements. You can take for about a week.
Yes, probiotics restore the bacterial balance.
You can go through the following link.
Thanks again for your reply.
I have uploaded two versions of the stool tests as you requested.
I am a little hesitant to start the laxative treatment until I know what to do about probiotics. I read through the articles on the subject on WebMD. However, it seems that there are all sorts of claims and little definitive information about probiotics to guide me in trying to restore my stomach to normalcy. For instance, it seems from the WebMD articles that some probiotics are aimed at rebalancing problems with lactose intolerance. Then there are a great number of products listed on XXXXXXX whose descriptions are so general that they mean little to me.
Thus I would think knowing what food types seem to cause me trouble might be necessary in selecting the "appropriate" type of probiotic. Am I right about this? Or should I consider a "general" probiotic? The gastroenterologist/surgeon who has been overseeing my case did mention VSL3, but he mentioned that product or brand as simply one that some of patients there use.
Kindly upload the reports again
I do not see any stool tests reports here.
Please upload them again.
I'll try it again shortly.
Two reports have been sent again-I hope that they get through alright.
Having a bad day, with gas and grumbling all day. The problem was probably ground chicken from the refrigerator. I think I will check the refrigerator temp.
Re: the stool test results, let me try pasting them here.
No, for some reason, that did not work.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do you suggest for a stomach upset with nausea
- Treatment for red lesions due to stomach upset
- Stomach upset post throat infection please suggest treatment
- Suffering from jaundice dark yellow urine indigestion stomach upset treatment
- Treatment for stomach upset difficulty urinating and kidney issues
- Suggest treatment for stomach upset and apetite loss
- Suggest treatment for persistent fever with cold and stomach upset
- Suggest treatment for vomiting and stomach upset
- Suggest medication for stomach upset pain
- Treatment and cure for stomach upset