Suggest treatment for stomach upset with low grade fever and dizziness

Posted on Wed, 6 Jan 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I woke up early saturday morning (2am) with very upset stomach. I took Pepto and imodium and never vomitted or had diahea but felt very bad all night. Yesterday (saturday), I stayed in bed and ate crackers and ginger ale but did not take any medicine. Stomach did not hurt yesterday but had a low grade fever (~99.6). Today, stomach is not hurting and is growling like I am hungry, but I still feel dizzy when i get up.

Does this sound like food poisoning or a stomach virus? (We had an office Christmas party/potluck lunch af work on Friday.) How likely is it that i am contagious today? (I have young children and a teenager going through chemo).
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sub-clinical intestinal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history, nicely put up in chronology.
Read and understood that you had potluck lunch on Friday, upset stomach on Saturday 2 am, no vomiting or diarrhea, low grade fever; growling stomach and dizzy on getting up today.
With the history you have given, this is definitely suggestive of low grade intestinal infection/food poisoning.
This is not contagious if you properly wash your hands with soap-water every time you visit restroom.
This is the case where the presentation is sub-clinical. If the stool test shows infection a 5 days course of an antibiotic active against intestinal infection would have been a better choice considering you have children at home and a teenager going through chemo.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for relevant further queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 16 minutes later
Thank you very much for your answer. My biggest concern, with my family situation, is how contagious I am. I know that stomach virus versus food poisoning can be hard to diagnose even with a face-to-face appointment, but I feel reassured by your opinion that it is likely food poisoning (and not something highly contagious like a stomach virus). I am rather germophobic and wash my hands very frequently, so hopefully, that will keep this away from my kids. (Please correct me if I misinterpreted any part of your answer.)

One last question - should I worry that I am still getting dizzy when I stand up, and how long should I expect that to last? Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should worry about dizziness.

Detailed Answer:
Sincere thanks for your appreciation and correctly reading my opinion/mind.
Food poisoning can be diagnosed by a stool tests and the history you have provided from Potluck lunch till today is most suggestive of food poisoning, hence advised to take a stool test and should have gone for antibiotic. (the practice varies a bit from country to country).
Being germophobic is good and your practice of washing hands frequently will certainly help.

You are still getting dizzy means the infection is still active and it is possible that there is either the third-space loss, means the fluid poured into intestine as a response to the infection can cause this or the toxemia can cause this.
Take pulse and blood pressure if you have machine.Yest the better way is to consult your Physician and get a clinical evaluation, investigations and appropriate treatment.

I hope this answer helps you.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 29 minutes later
I have checked in online at the urgent care clinic down the street and will go today. Thank you for your opinion and reassurance. I feel better being relatively confident that am not contagious. Thanks!!I
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Wishing you an early and complete recovery.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon