Suggest treatment for stomach pain, lightheadedness, vomiting, nausea and loose stools

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband installs cable TV. On Friday he went under a house to run a cable line. Immediately after coming from under the house (20-25 mins) he stated complaining about stomach pain and feeling lightheaded Approximately 45 mins later after we got home he started vomiting violently. This lasted from about 6:30- 1am

The next day at the ER the doctor said he had a 24 hr bug and prescribe Zofran for nausea. Today he is still complaining about feeling lightedheaded and has very loose stool no energy. He has no appetite. He has only been able to keep bananas and applesauce down maybe and orange.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off orange, fluid and electrolyte replacement, probiotics,

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

As stated by the doctor that reviewed him in the ER, he likely has a 'bug'/infection of the gastrointestinal tract, though this can last up to a week in many persons.

The fluid loss and the loss of electrolytes from frequent bowel movements and vomiting, would cause a weakness.
These fluids and electrolytes need to be replaced, this would with the weakness. He should use either oral hydration packets for vomiting/diarrhea or sport drinks. These would give him back fluids and electrolytes.

If he is having loose stools/diarrhea, he may want to hold off the orange which would contain fiber and promote bowel movements. Use only a small amount of banana though this is part of the brat diet.

He should consider probiotics, these have been known to help heal the intestines and shorten the course of symptoms. They can be used on their own or in the yogurts that have probiotics.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I am concerned that he may have inhaled bacteria from rat urine/feces since this was an older house with a lot of woods in the back. Would the treatment be the same?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
with inhalation would expect respiratory symptoms

Detailed Answer:
HI

It is understandable to be concerned.

Since the symptoms are related more to his GI tract (stomach and intestines), it is more likely an infection that was spread hand to mouth. This means either that his hand was in contact with contaminated material (may not related to the house or not) and then he ingested something or touched his mouth.
Another option would be - using food that was not well prepared or contaminated

With inhalation, you would expect symptoms of the respiratory tract- shortness of breath, chest pain , coughing etc

Treatment for these types of GI symptoms are generally the same, if they go on for a long period of time, or worsen, then he may need to be re evaluated. May need iv fluids and additional medication

Please feel free to ask anything else