Suggest treatment for stomach pain due to a cyst

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: This question is for a gynocologist.

Hello. When I went to the gyno last Wednesday and she did a pelvic exam she partially ruptured a small 2.5mm cyst on accident (confirmed by sonogram later that day due to extreme pain I was in that cyst was partially ruptured and leaking)
After 4 days was feeling better on Sunday and finally able to sit upright without bothering it. Before that could only lay down or pain would get worse.
I made the mistake of bending over to tie my shoes and felt like a pinch and then extreme pain down my leg and all around my side and upper abdomen.
That was Sunday.
Now today is Tuesday and I feel like pain is radiating up my side towards right under my breast along upper abdomen. Burning type feeling from ovary lower side and it feels like it is running up a muscle or nerve upto below my chest, under my ribs.
Is that a musle or nerve causing that sensation from cyst still leaking or just cyst leaking into my upper abdomnal area (my gyno said yesterday it was only partially ruptured so when I bent on Sunday probably re-aggrevated it.)
That feeling of pain/burning going from lower abdomen where ovary is up along my side to under my ribs/chest, is that a normal feeling from the cyst leaking into my abdomen and if it is tolerable, (not crying but feels like a burning feeling) is that normal?
Anything dangerous could be happening?
I went back yesterday, she pushed around my abdomen and said it felt the way it should.
The pain radiating upper abdomen and burning feeling started today when I sat up for too long and even though laying down now still bothering me, not as bad, but still not good. Usually laying down resolves everything and it feels fine but now still bothering me.
Any thoughts? I dont have temperature.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its just cyst leaking

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

It may be the cyst leaking into your upper abdominal area which has got re-aggravated. I will advise you to get a sonography to re-assess the situation. If the leak is large, you might need a surgery.

Dr. Som MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 1 hour later
Is it normal for the cyst to be leaking and sometimes cause pain in your upper abdominal area?
She felt my stomach yesterday and said it felt the way it should, if there was to much bleeding inside she said it would feel different and I would have been more sensitive to her touch and she would have sent me to the ER.
She thinks it will clear up in a few days.
I have my period now (came a week early the day after cyst partially ruptured, she said that probably induced my period to come early) so was going to wait a few more days til it is gone as they have to go inside with doppler ultrasound to see what is going on right or can they just go over your outside and see if there is to much leakage?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answers below...

Detailed Answer:
Dear,

1) Yes cysts can leak and cause pain as described by you. It's a possibility.

2) Only mild bleeding itself can cause pain due to irritation. You do not need large amount of bleed.

3) Vaginal approach is always better than abdominal ultrasound but sometimes abdominal approach can also show leakage.

If pain is not severe then you can wait a few more days.

Dr. Som