Suggest treatment for stomach pain and frequent bowel movements in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: my 4 and half year old boy is having motion for 3 time a day from 2 to 3 day and sometimes pain also.mucus is pesent in every motion.........pls suggest........whenever he eat ,he is going for poo...
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is due to a phenomenon called gastrocolic reflex. It is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that there is nothing to worry. Sometimes a child may pass stool after each feeds due to a phenomenon called gastrocolic reflex and there is nothing to be concerned about it. If you feel that the stool is watery or semi solid, you just need to increase the fluid intake. Give him ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish for the lost water and salts. Nothing else needs to be done.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
doctor actually his stomach cramps...and when he go to toilet mucus comes out....
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a routine microscopy of stool done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. In such a case it would be good if you could get his stool microscopy done. Upload the reports thereafter and I would guide you accordingly.

As of now, giving Decolic syrup when required, should ease the cramps. You may discuss with your doctor before giving it.